@paigeleighneuhauser

Modern Decades: 70's, 80's, & 90's

When you (most likely 90's babies) think of the 70's, 80's, and 90's, you may think costume first. But if you look back, these decades had some killer looks! Sure, the people that lived/grew up during those years look back and think, "What was I wearing?" or "THAT'S what I chose to wear?", but it really has come full circle. Personally, I find a lot of inspiration from vintage and classic styles, like the three decades mentioned. It is perfectly fine to pull from different eras of style, as long as you put a modern twist on it. I put together a look for each of these decades. I hope you find inspiration in these retro looks and the decades in general and give it a try!


That 70's Trend
For this specific look, I was inspired by the Express Fall Campaign with Karlie Kloss. This outfit instantly caught my eye and I knew I had to recreate it! This just screams 70's-inspired and I LOVE it!


To create this look, first, I was searching for a similar skirt that had all of the right elements. While at Goodwill, I was lucky enough to find a skirt with a comparable length, style, and perfect details. The skirt I styled is corduroy and I just adore the snap detail. Although, the skirts are different, I think the overall look of it is a great match!


Ironically, I found this cowl neck sweater at the same time that I found the skirt. I originally planned on pairing the skirt with a similar shirt to Karlie's, but I couldn't pass up this sweater and realized it would be a great fit for this outfit, as well as other outfits this fall and winter season. This look is the perfect balance of 70's style and today's boho vibe! To complete the look, I went with my floppy-brimmed camel colored hat and brown boots with tall lace socks. Accessories can really top off an outfit and in this case, they finish off the groovy 70's look!

Totally Bitchin' 80's
Let's face it, the 80's were totally bitchin'! I wish I could have grown up during the 80's for sure! 80's fashion goes from neon to Flashdance. When you think about it, has the Flashdance style really faded? It honestly looks both 80's and 2015. 


I purchased this sweater from a thrift shop about a year ago. It used to be a regular sweater, but it was the perfect type of sweater to cut out the neck and sleeves. It came in handy for this particular blog/outfit. A pair of basic tights was the perfect direction for this 80's inspired outfit. A pointed toe heel is still in and still captures the 80's era. To bring in the 80's elements, I threw on a few bangles for a pop of color. This outfit is very laid back but still really current and stylish.

90's...Too Legit To Quit
Oh how I miss the 90's! The 90's were legit from fashion to music and TV. All-around awesome! I also found this jumpsuit from Goodwill, on the same day the 70's outfit came together. (You could say my trip to Goodwill inspired this decade themed blog post!) I literally jumped up and down when my mom held up this jumpsuit. I was pumped...still am! It's so now, but so 90's at the same time.


Different kinds of jumpsuits are definitely on trend! The wash of this denim is perfection and is ideal for this 90's inspired outfit. I have featured these shoes before, but the chunky heel is pretty much the shoe of the 1990's with a modern flair. Now for the ultimate 90's accessory: The Choker Necklace. I want to say chokers are slowly making a comeback, in a way. I have a silver metal choker from Forever 21 that is very now and it works, in my opinion. This particular choker necklace is a tattoo style that was my mom's and I love it. It's a fun breakaway from the very popular statement necklace. I kept with the edgy accessories by throwing on a metal bracelet and a ring to bracelet hand chain. It really is too legit to quit the 90's!

I hope you enjoyed this modern decades blog post! I can't get over how fun it is to experiment with fashion! I encourage you to find your inner hippie, material girl and grunge girl! Own it!

The decades...revisited.

What's your opinion?