@paigeleighneuhauser

Fall Favorites: 3 Versatile Statement Pieces

Fall weather is finally here! But is it here to stay my fellow Illinoisans?!!? Either way, it's time to start bringing back out your fall favs! Every year when the fall season comes around, I seem to get more and more excited for it! Not only do I get excited for the fashion aspect of it, but also the late night fires, pumpkin flavored everything, the crisp, fresh smell in the air, and the overall giddy feeling of fall. There is just something about it! Now back to fashion! For this post, I’ve decided to share 3 of my favorite statement pieces for the fall season: a cape, an oversized blanket scarf and a long denim jacket. I have styled each piece two different ways to show you how versatile they can be. I am so pumped for this fall season and I hope this post inspires you to step out of your fashion comfort zone and try new things! I encourage you to find your own inner style by pulling from different outlets of inspiration! Just go for it, girl!


Baby Blue Cape 

On a recent episode of Project Runway, one of the designers made a cape and I immediately wanted to find one of my own. Not a couple weeks later, I was at my local thrift shop and my mom happened to come across this cape, just as we were about to check out! I was so giddy and excited to not only have found a cape, but to have snagged one for only $10! SCORE!!!
 


Style 1: Dainty Lace
In this case, the cape itself is the focal point of the outfit, so I went with a dainty burgundy lace long-sleeve shirt underneath and a simple black legging. To break up the outfit, I chose a beige bootie and went with gold accessories. I threw on the camel colored hat and sunglasses to finish the look. The color of this cape is a statement of its own, but by choosing complementary accents and details, it all comes together for a sophisticated autumn look.




Style 2: Bring Out the Turtleneck
Again, the cape is the main focus of the outfit, so choosing to go with simpler pieces will let the cape speak for itself. For this ensemble, I picked out an off-white turtleneck. I rolled the turtleneck on the outside of the cape for extra detail. For pants, I chose a faded denim to complement the turtleneck. I stuck with the beige bootie again and gold accents. This outfit is very simple, but classic.

Check out your local thrift shops, Goodwill and heck, your grandma's closet, you just never know what you might find!


Adult Blankie

This scarf is definitely on trend! It is literally a blanket. It can be transformed in so many different ways. The possibilities are endless! I suggest you check it out on Pinterest and see for yourself! :)



Style 1: Makeshift Cardigan
One of the many scarf transformations is the makeshift cardigan/jacket. It’s like an entirely new addition to your wardrobe. You can wear it as is or add a belt to cinch it in. I chose a thick, red belt to stay with the color scheme of the scarf. Also, I chose a forest green long sleeve shirt that matches the accent in the scarf. For pants, I went with a basic pair of dark jeans and threw on a pair of combat boots. Accessories are gold to complement the tans going on in the outfit. This look is so effortless and cozy, but still very fashionable.

To create this scarf look:
-Fold the scarf in half diagonally to make a triangle.
-Place the straight edge over your shoulders.
-Bam! A new cardigan/jacket.


Style 2: Just a Scarf
Instead of using the scarf as part of the outfit, I made it an accessory. I chose a fitted tan blazer and basic cream tee so the scarf would pop. For bottoms, I chose a faded grayish/blue jean and finished the look with combat boots. Accessories are also gold for this look. If your’e wanting to dress casual but have a little bit of flair, this fall outfit is for you.

Bend It Like Bender

Does this jacket not channel The Breakfast Club’s John Bender? I am in love with it…and him! ;) And guess what?!?! This piece is also from my local thrift shop! Scored this piece earlier this summer and could not wait to style it for the fall season. 



Style 1: Sweater Weather
This jacket is on the baggier side, so it allows for thicker sweaters underneath. I went with a black and white knit sweater tucked in a stretchy gray pencil skirt. For shoes, I picked out my favorite go-to high heel ankle boots. The jacket makes any basic outfit a showstopper because it is so different from an everyday denim jacket. I went with all black accessories, including my cat eye sunglasses. 


Style 2: "Bender" the Rules
If you want to bring out your inner badass, with a jacket like this, style it like Bender, simply by adding plaid. For my plaid, I went with a high-slit plaid dress. Because of the high slits, I threw on a basic pair of black tights. All accessories are black and this outfit just called for a beanie, am I right?


Now it's time to step out of your fashion comfort zone, why not start now! 
Thanks for stopping by! :)
Photo cred: My beautiful sister, Emily :)

What's your opinion?