@paigeleighneuhauser

Match or Go

"Does this match?" "Does this go?" Two completely different questions! The difference between something matching and something going together is that matching is exactly what it sounds like; whereas, going together means it doesn't necessarily match, but it works together. To paint this picture, imagine a plaid skirt. Instead of playing it safe, pair it with a striped shirt that takes your look from matchy-matchy to funky and fresh. Of course, there are times where certain patterns just do not mix, but if you play it right, you can do wonders with prints, patterns, and textures. To better understand the difference between matching and going, I have put together a match and go look centered around three pieces, for a total of six different looks. Let's match and go...literally!


High-Slit Plaid Dress
Match
This high-slit plaid dress has different shades of gray (but not quite 50), so I chose a loose, gray long-sleeve shirt underneath. As for bottoms, I went with a simple pair of black tights. For shoes, I chose my favorite chunky black heels. Going with the monochromatic gray scheme is what you would normally go for because it just simply matches. 


High-Slit Plaid Dress
Go
To make this outfit "go", I went with a black and white striped long sleeve shirt. This shirt has elbow holes, which adds a bit of fun detail. The contrast between both patterns works in this case by pulling from the same color scheme and putting a twist on it. Mixing patterns is a fun trend to get into!


Polka Dot Pants
Match
These polka dot pants are just too fun to style. For my matching look, I went with a sheer blouse that also has polka dots. I threw on a black bandeau underneath and chose a nude bootie. I decided to stick with the polka dot pattern for this matching outfit. Each polka dot piece complements one another to create a cohesive look.


Polka Dot Pants
Go
For my going together outfit, I paired polka dots and stripes together! Two great patterns! I incorporated a stretchy lycra turtleneck that contrasts with the polka dot pants. Polka dots and stripes can really work well together if they complement each other as well!


Striped Skirt
Match
To match with this black and white striped skirt, I chose a basic black turtleneck. To add a little pop of color to this outfit, I went with a gold bow belt. This belt makes such a statement and is just a really fun accessory! As for shoes, I went with black heels. Going with a matching black top makes the skirt just pop off your body!


Striped Skirt
Go
Finally, for this "go" outfit, I took stripes and plaid and mixed the two together! I love the contrast of these two patterns! I paired a black long sleeve and layered a plaid button up tank to play off of the striped skirt. For shoes, I again chose my chunky black heels. Two bold patterns can really make a statement if you style it just right!


That's all I've got for ya' on mixing and matching! Don't be afraid to mix and match bold prints, patterns, and textures! It's fun to step outside the box and take risks! Once you get past the fear of mixing patterns, it opens up an unlimited amount of style possibilties! So what will it be? Match or Go?

Thanks for stopping by! :)



What's your opinion?